Thursday, April 26, 2012

Motivational Continuem

Back to the Sucker Flower Pot...
I decided to up the ante to include a sucker pull. Now when students do their best with great success, they get to choose and pull a sucker from the flower pot. But wait... there's more! (That was fun! :) ) Now when students pull a sucker, they look at the bottom of the sucker in search of a red dot.

When they've pulled the red dot sucker, they additionally get a "treasure chest prize".  Oh lucky day! To entice them further, I sometime color the bottoms of the suckers in front of them - this brings out a moment of extra goodness. Mixing the dotted suckers with the non-dotted and placing them into the pot. It just gets them ready to do their best all over again.


(I love my treasure chest. It's one of the first classroom items my husband ever built for me and was made even better by a student many years ago when he took it home, painted and decorated it. Thanks, Izzy!)

By the way, did you happen to notice the jar of marbles next to my red marker? If you don't have a glass jar in action yet, get one now. Use erasers, marbles, fuzzy little whatevers to fill it with when you have a reason to reward the class. When the marbles reach the top, celebrate as a class and try to fill it up all over again.

Hope you find joy and motivation for yourself! ~ The Farmer's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment